We offer a variety of services and resources that assist students with preparing for graduate school and successfully completing graduate applications.
- Summer research internships with a generous stipend
- Six KU academic credits (three in independent study and three in research methods)
- The mentorship of a KU faculty member
- Tutoring in any course
- GRE test preparation
- Workshops on the graduate school application process
- Academic, career and personal counseling
- Individualized graduate school application assistance
- All-expense paid trips to regional and national conferences
- Access to photocopiers, computers, color printers, a fax machine, and office supplies
- Access to a work and study space
- The opportunity to present their research at the KU McNair Research Symposium and other research conferences
- The ability to borrow technology such as laptops and digital recorders
In addition, over 200 graduate schools offer application fee waivers for McNair Scholars, and a growing number offer fellowships specifically reserved for McNair Scholars.
We are committed to working cooperatively in the KU community and academia at large, focusing on networking and collaboration, emphasizing the importance of active learning, and fostering the value of natural curiosity to develop and strengthen critical thinking, for our scholars.
We are committed to defending and advancing the ideals of equal educational opportunities for all students. We champion our scholars, believing in the value and relevancy of low-income, first-generation college students in higher education and society.
We strive to broaden educational access for our scholars by increasing their research and scholarly experiences and by providing them with necessary skills and resources to be successful in the global world.
We value the diverse perspectives, identities, and experiences of our community and we strive to prepare future leaders who represent this diversity within higher education.
We strive to teach our scholars the importance of perseverance in the face of adversity, to provide support and encouragement to overcome the economic, social, financial, institutional, and personal structures that may challenge their ability and motivation to achieve and succeed.
We value the pedagogic contribution of our scholars and we are dedicated to cultivating the intellectual advancement of every scholar through rigorous research and scholarly activities across the disciplines.
We promote self-confidence by creating a safe and positive learning environment that challenges and supports our scholars to take risks, be accountable, and achieve academic excellence.